Saturday, May 20, 2023
ACORN Partners in Education is happy to host our 6th annual Waves & Whales Trail Run & Hike on the Point Arena-Stornetta Lands. ACORN is looking forward to once again inviting the community to participate in this event and show their support for our educational programs while enjoying the spectacular beauty of our natural landscape!
This year, we are partnering with the Pacific Community Charter School again as co-hosts of the Waves & Whales. ACORN has been collaborating with the Pacific School for the past 2 decades. Most recently, our collaborations have included a strong focus on environmental education and place-based instruction, including providing in-person outdoor learning opportunities for local youth. Your sponsorship will allow ACORN and the Pacific School to further our goals of cultivating environmental stewardship within our community.
Follow our Facebook page for event announcements.
- Race begins at 10:00 am.
- Hikers and dogs welcome. Dogs must be on leash.
- Participants receive cotton t-shirt and snacks. Register early ensure a t-shirt in your size (featuring original artwork by a local artist).
- Day-of registration available on-site beginning at 8:30 am.
- Age categories and hand-made 1st place awards by Point Arena Tileworks.
- Awards ceremony begins at 11:00.
- February 1 – February 28: $20, Ages 16+. $10, Ages 5-15.
- March 1 – April 30: $25, Ages 16+. $15, Ages 5-15.
- May 1 – May 20: $30, Ages 16+. $15, Ages 5-15.
- Family pricing! Register together for discounts up to $5 per person.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TODAY!
Timing results from the 2022 Waves & Whales are posted here (please note: official timing ended before all hikers finished). Enjoy the slide show below with 2022 highlights.
Proceeds from the Waves & Whales Trail Run will support ACORN’s environmental stewardship program, Students Protecting the Coast, which engages youth in hands‐on learning with a focus on conservation and community outreach. Students Protecting the Coast began during the 2012‐13 school year as part of the local and national campaign to include the Point Arena‐Stornetta Lands in the California Coastal National Monument. Students continue to learn about our coastal landscape and are empowered to use their voice by sharing what they’ve learned with the community.
ACORN is committed to hosting a sustainable event that honors the natural landscape and educates the larger community. The Waves & Whales Trail Run promises to be a worthwhile coastal excursion—runners can expect a rejuvenating run surrounded by natural beauty and the knowledge that they are supporting the continued stewardship of this land by, and for, the next generation.
Interested in becoming a sponsor? We would love your help! Visit our sponsor page for more details.